Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Erik's 40th Birthday Party

The day before I flew out to California, we were lucky enough to be invited to our friend Erik's surprise birthday party that his wife put together. It was out at the Rock Quarry Farm, a charming B&B right outside of Chapel Hill. Unfortunately, it was a bit drizzly, but we had a lovely afternoon under the tent, eating delicious bbq, playing with tons of two year olds, and toasting our dear friend!


Erik is a plastic surgeon, and one of our newly formed "tri-team." His assistant is a wonderful baker, and made a delicious cake for the shindig. He credits his triathlon training for being able to blow out all 40 candles.


Our gang! Trent, Paul, Erik's assistant's husband, Sheila, me, Amanda, Baby Alexander, and Stephen. Amanda and I took turns snuggling with the little fella all afternoon. He was a champ!


His wife hired the Big Fat Gap band, local bluegrass legends. The bass player did all the bbq cooking and helps run the farm as well! They were impressive.


But not as impressive as this act! Trent and I wrote Erik a song (to the tune of "On the Road Again"). I wrote the lyrics and Trent figured out the chords and we put it all together about 1 day before the party. But we had a blast. I can't sing, and we had no idea what we were doing, but it was charming and sweet and so much fun. Hooray for being broke and creative!


And doesn't that look on Trent's face make your heart go pitter-patter? No? Just me? Okay.


Our audience, including the birthday boy in his birthday hat. We were expecting about 10 people, and were shocked to see the big crowd. But it was so much fun.

Erik's son Hayden maybe wasn't so impressed though. Isn't he a cutie!

All in all a lovely day spent with good friends.
The rest of the pictures can be seen here.

2 comments:

Lesley said...

those are great pictures

Lindsay said...

De-lurking, to tell you how sweet that pic is with Trent looking at you. You are a lucky, lucky lady! I have a picture like that with my fiancee and it is my most prized possession. I love your stories and positive attitude...truly inspiring.

p.s. I came across your blog via emilystyle. Which is also amazingly wonderful. Thanks for sharing your life with us. :)