Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Can't complain...

My life is pretty fantastic, despite my best efforts to complain. Example: Yesterday.

1. Science, science, science... all day. Design experiments, do experiments, analyze experiments. No one tells you what to do or when to do it. Just curiosity for motivation.

2. Neat science talk. Turns out she was a post-doc in the same lab The Tri Prof did his grad work. Nice to see a young female scientist really making it work. And pretty pictures of holometric centoromeres in C. elegans. Trust me.

3. Back to lab to discuss the talk with the Boss. One of my favorite things to do.

4. Trent shows up after crew team yoga with dinner. And a delightful lemon curd cupcake for dessert. Fantastic.

5. We walk across campus to the Student Union and listen to a talk on race/society from Elon Smith from This Week in Blackness and Christian Lander from Stuff White People Like. Interesting combination, and quite funny at times.

6. Walk downtown (quick stop at Trent's office to get an umbrella!) and meet up with Tri Prof and the speaker, as well as a couple other UNC faculty and friends at the Crunkleton, our friend/ex-neighbor Gary's new bar. A few delightful Rob Roy's and lots of fun conversation. Great to hear stories of surviving bizarre lab situations.

7. Quick walk home and into bed. Not a bad situation!

(for those concerned: Trent stopped by home and let Sadie out and fed her before coming to lab.. just fyi)

Things I must keep in mind:
1. I love science. And I am pretty good at it. I have the potential to take this far.
2. Having a partner who supports my ambition is a ridiculously amazing thing. Dinners in lab, schmoozing with scientists, listening to me when I wake up with a science nightmare (bizarre, but happening recently). I am so lucky.
3. Life is good. Or as good as you let it be.

2 comments:

MrsEm said...

Go Science! You saw Avatar-right?

MissScientistSF said...

I haven't yet!! I am the last person around. Well, and Trent. I've heard some interesting scientific parts!