Friday, January 23, 2009

Week Recap


What a crazy week. Snow, new presidents, fun science.. it was a doozy. Here are some things I learned:

1. North Carolina has good snow. It was light and fluffy and then just magically disappeared after a few days. No icky slush, just evaporation. I like it. And Sadie is one happy snow camper.

2. However, black ice is so so so scary. Our street is pretty shaded and a little sloped and I am still terrified to walk down it. And riding my bike down it is completely out of the question.

3. I am already impressed by how much President Obama has accomplished in just a few days. I still feel like this is all a pleasant dream. And Mrs. O is just fantastic.

4. Trent cut my hair into an adorable bob. I realize that short hair just works so much better for my face and my lifestyle.

5. I am trying to deal with stress by exercising and went a little overboard with lifting and yoga in the beginning of this week, because it was too snowy to run. And now I think I have pulled a muscle in my quad which hurts like crazy. Blargh.

6. I started vegetable seeds in cardboard egg crates. I am so ready for spring.

7. Today was my last meeting as BGSA President. I have held this position for a year and a half. I am so thrilled to be done with it honestly. But I also had my first meeting as President of CMB, my NIH training grant group, this week. I am nervous about still being in a leadership position, but feel like this will be a new challenge and a fun experience. Plus, awesome for the resume!

8. I am trying to work out a new protocol in lab that I need to have working before my orals but it is really challenging. And involves lots of fine dissection under the scope so I am off coffee. No fun.

9. I am a little mad at my boss for being constantly busy and away. But motivated to just get a lot of stuff done independently and knock his socks off when he finally does pay attention to me.

10. Having Emily help plan our wedding is just fantastic. There are so many cute places out there, it is going to be super hard to decide. Thankfully we have lots of friends out there to investigate for us!

Happy weekend everyone. I am horseback riding tomorrow and helping Amanda pick out makeup for her wedding next weekend. Hopefully going on a long bike ride, dealing with the pile of gravel, and lots of cleaning house.

3 comments:

MrsEm said...

Same here on #5. I have a pulled hamstring and a sprained ankle this week.

PS: Did you see all the good suggestions in the WW comments this week?

MrsEm said...

PPS: We're going to Davis tonight and tomorrow :)

MissScientistSF said...

Ya, tons of great suggestions. So many good options, it will be hard to decide. Lesley is going to SF this weekend, you guys are switching. What are you doing in Davis? Stopping by Berkeley by chance? Sorry about your hamstring and ankle, what happened?