Friday, August 18, 2006

my new favorite thing

I am runner by nature. I'd rather run anywhere I am going for efficiency, it makes me feel a whole lot better after a stressful day, and it is a great time to practice speeches or conjugating spanish verbs. I think I am even a pretty good runner. Although I run like a Kalajari bushman, I am highly efficient and can go for ages. It is also the way I get to know a town, every place I've stayed a while I stake out by running. It affords you ample people watching time and chances to venture down random streets, with the comfort that no one thinks you are crazy because you are running. Not jogging, running. It's important, that distinction.

However.. I've been running about everyday out here and.. well, I just don't know. It is still a great way for me to know the town (I run up and down Franklin St, checking out the scene) and the campus (the med center/school is HUGE, looks like an airport, but not as huge as the football stadium, holy moley!). But man.. the humidity. It doesn't bother me so much just walking around, and it is kind of nice because it makes you feel like you are working out really hard cuz you are sweating so much. But not always so pleasant.

SO... new favorite thing: The outdoor pool. A blissful 84 degree oasis of lovely clean water, friendly people, and easy access. Right in the heart of campus, moments from my department.. it is going to be my constant companion!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hear you about the running and humidity. Not so fun...

And isn't it crazy how GINORMOUS the football stadiums are?!?! Yours is probably the same as ours... INSANELY HUGE!

anywyas... hope you have a nice weekend.

ey