Monday, August 14, 2006

Just a quick update on NC life thus far. I am currently at the Davies Library on campus and desperately need to be working on putting together a convincing arguement that I, out of the six potential applicants, would be the best fit for a highly successful research professor's lab this fall. But I just have to share my stories with my friends first...

Things have been going well, I've started to really live in the little home and find my way around Chapel Hill. I still need Trent on the phone when I venture out of my little town, but he is quite handy on the internet. It is definitely a growing up experience. Until yesterday, I'd never bought: a vacumn, a microwave, a blanket. I've never thought of buying a sofa, though I will be doing that soon. I even didn't realize that you had to call the gas company to have them turn on the gas.. after I bought all the fixings for a fancy spaghetti dinner and realized the stove didn't work. (But somehow I have hot water... no idea how this is working.) I am realizing I have a lot of growing up to do and I am feeling very proud of myself thus far. I took myself out to dinner last night, on Saturday night I went to a play in the little Forest Theater just meters from my house, at Penney's kind suggestion, and I finally decided on the color scheme for the chairs and tables (glossy white and bright green). I went grocery shopping and have nearly finished restoring the tables and chairs. I was feeling very proud of myself. Until this morning.

I was exhausted last night after a day of battling the big box stores so after working on the tables a bit in the late evening (the best time, cool and no bugs!) I climbed into bed with my new blanket and slept great. Up early this morning and had time for a run before I needed to get to campus to study it up. So off I go. But then with a sinking dread.. I realized I had just locked myself out. How interesting those first few moments are. The sinking dread, the immobilizing realization that you are completely alone to figure this out. I quickly investigated all the windows. The weather has gotten cooler and I was sick of the paint smell so I've been leaving the windows open, with the screens on of course. I even tried the one that required me to delicately balance over a bush of poisin ivy. No luck. Finally, I realized that the one window that wasn't open had the loosest screen and wasn't locked. But it was SO hard to open!! I managed to get it propped up about 7 inches and found I could fit my head through it. And yes, this is probably my biggest concern for fitting through something (go ahead, laugh away). So I began to shimmy through. Unfortunately about at my hips the window slid shut a bit and I was completely stuck. I was too far from the floor to get any resistance to push against and my feet stuck out from the window too far from the ground. Hmm... right. Fortunately, I suppose, the window I chose to sneak through was right on the gravel path that leads by all the cottages. I heard a car arrive in the lot and footsteps on the gravel. I was wiggling around furiously, but couldn't get the window to go up any further. Finally I heard, "Umm, need some help?" I had the stranger hold on to my feet so I could push against him and tumbled on to the floor. I looked up and there was the local UPS guy, dropping off one of Trent's boxes. So I will be seeing lots more of him, but hopefully not in the same circumstances. After my meeting I am off to the hardware store to make 10 copies of keys and hide them in various locations. Time to grow up Jean, though I am happy with my McGuiver sensibilities!

I have more pictures to post but really need to get studying. Wish me luck at this meeting!

2 comments:

Sara said...

im glad you made it in finally!
I'm so bad about the key thing, which is
mademade worse by the
automatic locking
doors we have and the fact we live on the 3rd floor. I really need to make a copy and give it to someone.

MrsEm said...

That is too funny! You're like Winnie the Pooh!