Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Weekend Happenings


A bit late, yes, but this week has been crazy at work already!! So for all of those dying to hear.. here we go!

Friday, T had another fun outing with his company. This time they went sailing on the Bay. How jealous am I?? What was supposed to be an easy day for me turned into a hectic one, so I didn't manage to get out until 4. Dashed home, met up with T, loaded the car and hit the road. We made it up to Donner around 9, after a stop in Auburn for dinner. Did you know JimBoy's Tacos actually ran out of food? Strange..

We hung out for a bit in the BEAUTIFUL cabin T's parents rented for the weekend. Absolutely gorgeous. Watched the tour and off to bed. Up early Saturday and on the bikes to get acclimated to the elevation and make sure T's legs were raring to go. After an hour ride or so, we headed back to the house and then T and I went over to the race start station to pick up his packet and browse the vendors. I fell in love with a new Orca sleeveless wetsuit (there goes my buying freeze!) and T and I went for a swim in the lake to try it out. Back home again and everyone napped and relaxed. His aunt and uncle showed up as well as a friend of ours from Hamilton pool who didn't have anywhere to stay. I enjoyed a nice long run before coming back for a big dinner. We watched more Tour and some of the Last Samuri before getting to bed.

Sunday everyone got up REALLY early to get ready for the race. I rode my bike down with T and helped him set up his transition area and get settled. Then I rode back up and drove down with his parents and grandmother. We all got settled at a picnic bench near the swim finish and went and cheered him on as the swim started. It was a beautiful day, no wind and bright sun. He did awesomely on the swim and hopped on the bike after being filmed during his transition. Off on the bike, up and over Donner Summit, down a bit, then back up and over. Quite a lot of climbing, but luckily it is his specialty. Off the bike then off for a run around the lake. What a race! And it was starting to get quite warm. But we were all there cheering, including his cousin from Chico, when he crossed the finish line, way under 3 hours! He ended up coming in 11th out of his age group and 80th or so overall!! Wow. I'll post results when they come in, as well as pictures!

We hung out around the race for a bit, chatting with his teammates and my past teammates from UC Davis. Then back to the house where he showered and passed out. We packed up the car, said our sad goodbyes, and hit the road. I drove to Davis where we dropped of our bikes to be sent over to NC at his parents house, then I went and visited my dear friend Cece Carter. She is such a wonderful lady, we had a lovely chat and enjoyed blueberry truffles.. tres chic. It was about a million degrees in Davis, dunno how we ever survived!! T was more awake after that and took over driving. Back to the coolness of the city to find a parking spot and lots of celebratory video games and beers for my awesome triathlete.

It was a lovely weekend, a great chance to catch up with his family and a very impressive race effort by Trent. Wonder when I will be back there next??

No comments: