Friday, June 16, 2006

Summer-isms:





I've been thinking a lot about summer today. By far.. my favorite season. And yes, I am still wearing my bright orange running shorts from my morning run. Because I can. Science doesn't judge.

I love summer. I love straight up, blazing hot, wear short shorts and eat an entire watermelon because that is the only thing that sounds good. I used to ride my old beautiful cruiser home from the Davis Safeway precariously holding a icey cold watermelon wearing bright yellow corduroy shorts and Reef flips after a long day of making alfalfa plants get jiggy. And then I would eat the whole thing. Ohh, what good times.

San Francisco has a different version of summer. A "well, it is kind of warm today, but don't get to cocky or the wind will start up and it will rain (I swear it drizzled Wednesday night)." So delicious days like today make me have a mini celebration of all things summer. Such as:

- Perusing the corner fruit stand this morning, loading up on yummy goodies for Emily's party tonight. And then eating about half of it in a rabid fruit bat style on the way to work. Thank goodness melons have rinds.. they were spared. I seriously took a look at myself in the mirror.. ohhh, an hour or so after I got to work, and had SO much plant material all over my face.. it was ridiculous.

- This song. A sneak peak of the wonderfulness of the upcoming summer album. I dare you not to get up and dance. Honestly, it is a REALLY good thing no one else is in the lab today. I have been shaking my bright orange shorts like mad. (okay I give up.. No idea how to link a song... (hangs head in shame). Go look up "All Night" by Damian Marley. It'll do you good).

- Discovering eBay. Usually not a fan. At all. But you can get Marc by Marc Jacobs and Chanel Gardenia for WAY less than department stores. And most of them have the "buy it now" feature that makes this less enraging. I realize this has nothing to do with summer, technically, but hopefully this internet commerce mecca will start carrying Grass by Marc Jacobs.. the scent of summer!

- Neutrogena Sunless tanning foam. Not in "deep," though, as the link illustrates. No waiting around for color to develop and then seeing all the mistakes (I am having a major flashback of my dad calling missing a spot while painting a "holiday." Is this a normal colloquism? Is colloquism a word?) Anyways.. this is the only hope!

- Concerts in the Park! In Davis, nothing signified summer more than when they bumped Farmers Market back a few hours and various bands played in the warm summer nights. And little hippie babies danced around naked. And big hippie people too. But not naked. Stern Grove, I am hoping, will recapture some of this glory. And freaking Seu Jorge and Amiee Mann this Sunday!?! Awesome. Get a big old picnic, a nice sparkling white or pinot noir, lots of sunblock, and because it is beloved SF, lots of warm clothes!!

3 comments:

MrsEm said...

I can't believe you are wearing those shorts to work! That is extreme casual friday!

MissScientistSF said...

I've changed now.. after I walked around Potrero Hill for a bit. Such a cute neighborhood! Ya, it was pretty ridiculous for a while. Pink skirt with pockets is much better :)

Erick said...

Hurray for blogging!

And yes, bidding on things to buy is way less fun than just buying them.