Tuesday, June 13, 2006

A break from the routine


It is amazing how our lives can become so routine. Monday morning means a very specific schedule to most people. I tend to forget that life continues on out there, while I am working away. Yesterday, I just had to play some hookie.

It all started when waiting for the 22. Along strolls kickball amigo Max, who was on his way to Mad Dog in the Fog to have a couple beers and watch the US vs. Czech Republic world cup game. I didn't realize people did that at 9am on a Monday.

At work, I blazed through my required tasks, working harder than is probably usual. Around 11, I went over to the Parnassus campus to drop off some cells and meet with some colleagues. Heading out at 12.. I realized.. I didn't really need to go back to work!!

Jill wasn't answering her phone, so I had some time to kill. Off to Dolci, my favorite mani spa on Steiner for a drop in manicure. Oh man, I love their hand massages!! And I love the super short dark maroon look, very hipster-chic.

Jill called just as I was drying, and we decided to meet in North Beach in an hour. I got some coffee and hopped on the N train, touched up my makeup at Sephora (LOVE the new mark jacobs "grass" perfume!), bought a gardenia for my hair at the street flower shop, and hopped on the 15 up to Little Italy! I met up with Jill and Julie, and we found a sweet little cafe off the main drag and promptly ordered a 2005 Fleur de California Pinot Noir, two yummy salads, a bowl of ginger carrot soup and an overflowing sandwich we all shared and enjoyed. Pleasantly buzzed and satiated, we wandered the neighborhood before coming across a gelato place. Of course we had to get some! I had three flavors, a honey vanilla, a hazelnut chocolate, and one that tasted exactly like rose petals.. yum!

We sobered up enjoying our gelato and hopped in Julies car, off to try to find decorations for her new living room in Japan Town. Beautiful umbrellas and wall hangings, in such a tidy little mall! We ended up at her place out in the outer Richmond, where we met up with her friend Adam Beck (all SLOHS alums) who played fun songs to sing to as we sat in their back garden and drank a very pear-y Geverstaimeiner (no idea how to spell that) and enjoyed the rare sun. We then decided to walk out to Ocean Beach, only 12 or so blocks away. She took us through Sutro Heights, an adorable park I'd never been to, and down a secret scamper path to a rocky seat on the cliffs right above the Cliff House. Ocean Beach was having some of the nicest waves I have ever seen (surfing this weekend??). We hung out there for a bit before heading back to her place and driving over to meet Bubs at El Belazo. Some yummy Mexican, and you can't beat the decor!

Only then did I realize it was nearly 10pm, as the restaurant appeared to be closing down. What?! Where did the entire day go? Sometimes it is nice to just go with the flow and enjoy the day, although it is a tricky adjustment and not something I could do everyday probably. But today, I've been super productive at work, reinspired to work on the glowing pig snot and tackle the math with no fear. Maybe I did need a day off?

1 comment:

MrsEm said...

Mani-pedis? Sephora? Marc Jacobs? Gardenias in your hair? I have created a girly monster!!! You had better keep this up in North Carolina!