Thursday, May 25, 2006

Crazy scientist


Yesterday, after an already fairly busy day including one trachea dissection, I was slowly tapering off and thinking how I would get home rather early. Then the phone call. At 4 pm. From the morgue. Ew. But we have been unlucky with our cells lately, so I bucked up and headed over there to do my job. Seriously, like the tallest man I have ever seen. Which meant I got to take about 8 inches of trachea. It was unreal!! And really really gross. But it meant it was going to be a long day in the lab. Around 6:30 I was finishing up, and caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. I had a semi-cute outfit on, my old Seven jeans and a Gap sweater, and the fantastsic purple sneaks.. but by then I was looking ragged. Hair tossed up in a ponytail, labcoat speckled with things I don't want to know what they are (Em- I don't wear your nice lab coat for gross stuff, fyi), and about a bizillion pens/spatulas/vials in all my pockets. I don't know when this pocket packrat-ing began, but it was become overwhelming! So today I wore a skirt with no pockets and didn't wear my lab coat much just to remind myself I wasn't an insane-o scientist quite yet. And cute little sperry-topsider-esque wedge heels. That helps. I got the usual, "you have a date tonight?" or "interview?," but it was worth it to be one stylish scientist.

Oh and tall man paid off.. I set my epithelial cell record... 265 million cells! Whoohoo. But oh man did I have a lot of work to do today.

Thanks muffin for treating me so good when I finally got home last night, the watermelon margeritas, the quesadillas and especially the sweet bird gifts from Mickey's. You are my favorite!

No comments: