Thursday, January 19, 2006

ph.d in molecular fabulousness


Today was our CF meeting. I learned a lot and was really proud of our lab's presentation. It was great to see stuff I had been involved in sparking the interest of some of the area's leaders in this disease study. A few comments, therefore:

1. I like lists. A whole lot. They appeal to my scientific nature, perhaps?

2. I don't really like grad students. This is a problem because I am about to become one. However, a majority of them.. bug me. I know they are broke and overworked and probably didn't want to be at the seminar today, but that is NO excuse for talking amongst themselves, browsing around on their laptops, looking like they just rolled out of bed, and falling asleep about halfway through. C'mon you guys.. this stuff is amazingly interesting.. or if it isn't to you.. get out of here!! Ya, the folks there work for THE MOST AWFUL boss ever (see #4), but that isn't our fault. I am not even a grad student and I sat at the table, not off in the corner, was an active listener, asked questions, and wore my gorgeous pearl button sweater from United Colors of Benneton. I have decided to be the most fabulous molecular biology grad student ever and not fall into this slump of bad manners and awful tastes!

3. I am a bit torn. Walt's presentation was awesome, and a great history lesson for me on all the work he has done and it was awesome to see cell culture lines that I started and maintained looking gorgeous on the screen. Even more exciting, he included the graphs of the mucin staining experiments I have frantically been trying to set up. However, they were at the very end of his talk and he had to rush through them because he ran out of time. Not that big of a deal, I was just a little sad.. that's all. But he did give me a big shout out at the end of the talk.. hooray.

4. Holy Geeze.. I hate this one guy. To remain anonomous.. but ohhhh my gosh. He is another primary investigator, who works over at UCSF. This is my 3rd CF conference and in each one, he has bugged me more. He asks ridiculous questions just to hear himself talk, loves to argue about the most ridiculous details.. and is pretty much ridiculous all over. Plus.. I think he smells bad (Unfortunately, being fabulous and sitting at the main table made him my neighbor). I guess I have a bit of sympathy for his gradstudents, I would hate working for him. Worst offense: messing with my Walt. Not cool, homie, that just ain't cool.

So ya, an overall success. Especially the yummy pizza for lunch. Next week will be lots of moving as the construction for our new lab starts and we have to move everything out of the way. Yuck. And I am reinspired to tackle my RNA project after hearing walt talk about it today, longingly. I just want it to WORK! Just got a text message that bubby is on BART.. yayy for coming home from Idaho. I gotta get outta here! Ciao

No comments: