Friday, January 20, 2006

it ain't bamboo..


These week has caused me to take the shuttle ride over to UCSF three times, two autopsies and one conference. I usually take the time to read or listen to music but today caught me totally unprepared and a bit shook up after getting out of the morgue. So I focused on finding some interesting new things in the city. Which to mean, of course, means awesome plants. So.. one more nerdy time, a list of fabulous plant finds:

1. BY far the best.. on Mission and 14th Street, there is this old brick building. The north wall is in the shade usually and seemingly damp which has made it host to a plethora of awesomely adventageous epiphytic ferns! These little guys were my favorite in Costa Rica and remind me that there is a certain tenacity required to survive in this urban jungle.

2. Again, another favorite, right outside Atlas Cafe on Alabama and 20th Street, a beautiful steel planter of equisetum, but really, can you think of a cooler plant? I can't. Seriously.. dinosaurs tried to eat this stuff. But they were way too smart for that nonsense. They rule. And no, it isn't g'damn bamboo!

3. The random beautiful garden somewhere right near the UCSF campus. Sorry I can't be more specific about this one, but there is this beautiful house right by the campus that always amazes me with its perfect garden. Not over the top, just full of color and not too much landscaping. I love it.

So, ya.. kinda a short list, but check out these sites if you get a chance. If you like these sort of things. Oh man.. on NPR right now they are talking about how this is the earliest year ever for buttercups to bloom in Montana. Will the wonders ever cease?

Have a great weekend, see ya all later!

ps. I had cute links and all that but they all didn't work. which means, computers suck and all that coding nonsene. sooo.. look up what the plants look like.. it's good for ya.

1 comment:

MrsEm said...

That's so funny! I pass that brick building with the ferns all the time and always think "I should bring jean down here sometime to see this"