Friday, November 11, 2005

happy veteran's day


I have taken advantage of today's freedom from work to get a lot of errands done, such as changing the oil in my car and paying bills. I had it allllll planned out. Until one thing got in my way. The damning efficiency that our nation promotes. I had originally thought to drop my car at the shop and then run over to the lab to change the cell medium, and then head back and have it all finished and nice. oh no no no. Instead, these guys at the shop bragged and bragged about their 10 minute oil change. Which left me with a frustratingly short amount of time. The only thing to do was to head to the Mickey-D's ( I know, the horror!) next door for a cup of coffee. There I was confronted with this silly system that times how long your transaction takes, from ordering to receiving your food. The average time was 44 seconds!

Henceforth: Rant of the day...

Why in the world do we place such an outstanding emphasis on speed in our service industry?? I would rather leave my car with the dudes for an hour and have them take their time and do a good job. And if it takes five more minutes to make my breakfast burrito from scratch.. so be it!! I guess it depends on the place you go, the jiffylube-esque oil change and mc donalds are notorious for their speedy service, so I guess I get what I pay for. But in general, I am not a fan of the quicky service. What is the rush?

So then I went and washed my car at the do it yourself wash, and spent about 3 dollars in quarters, but it was worth it for a job well done. Anyways, enough of that. Time to feel these cells and get out of here. NO one is here in the Pathology department except for the morgue folks. CREEEEEPY! Happy Friday, ciao!

No comments: